[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Mon Apr 28 05:29:54 UTC 2008

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> I have an idle thought. If there are to be seats elected by
> a limited circle of projects with chapters, would not the
> easiest manner of balancing things be that people from
> projects with chapters not be able to vote in the other
> elections from the community. In this fashion the so called
> "community" seats would be transformed into "chapterless
> community seats".
>
> Note that this proposal has the virtue that this would not
> disenfranchise nearly all the _individuals_ who contribute
> to projects with chapters, as many of them contribute in
> multiple languages, and thus may have an voting-eligble
> account in a smaller language without chapter.

I would be cautious about tying projects to chapters, considering that
they do not map to each other at all exactly. So unless I misunderstand
your proposal, I think the consequences for individual participation are
more drastic than you seem to believe. You suggest people might have
accounts on other projects, but it seems like this would
"disenfranchise" everyone who contributes to the Spanish projects, all
because a chapter has been formed in Argentina.

I'd be more inclined to take the idea and turn it completely around. In
the context of chapters selecting board members, I think it's worth
considering having an "at-large chapter" for people to participate in if
they don't have one available in their jurisdiction. Since it already
puts us in a situation where we have to think outside the standard mold
of what is a chapter, because we need to create something for the US
among others, a virtual chapter could be considered. A "chapter" for
board selection purposes need not be a "chapter" in the sense of an
incorporated nonprofit entity with tax deductibility for donations and
the ability to make formal agreements. Maybe this would also help some
of the places where people have expressed concerns about the wisdom of
actually forming associations - I vaguely recall Japan might have that
issue, for example.

--Michael Snow