[Foundation-l] Bertelsmann publishes "Wikipedia Encyclopedia in One Volume"

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Apr 28 05:14:09 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> 2008/4/24 phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com>:
>
> [What a strange attribution line Gmail has taken to.]
>

>>  In the meantime, I am struggling with the details of adhering to the
>>  letter of the GFDL -- because there is little precedent we are having
>>  to work things out as we go. Someday, I would love to see a "dummy's
>>  guide to publishing under a free content license" -- half of the
>>  problem of using many licenses, even CC, is they're hard to figure out
>>  for the average person.
>>

> Has anyone *ever* gotten an answer from licensing at fsf.org regarding a
> GFDL question that is more helpful than a Magic 8-Ball? "Reply hazy,
> try again later, ask your own lawyer."

Basically, no, but people have heard Richard Stallman suggest
semi-publicly that some of the worries about it are overblown (of
course, since he's largely responsible for the license he probably would
think so). In particular, it *doesn't* seem to be necessary to reprint
the full wiki editing history of an article to comply with the GFDL's
"publication history section" requirement, especially since we don't
present it in the original transparent source as such.

More importantly, since Bertelsmann are definitely not doing so
(it would take much more space than the actual stub articles to print
the full editing history for each one), and presumably their lawyers
have vetted that as okay, this provides some good precedent for other
reusers.

-Mark