[Foundation-l] WMF and the press

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 18:47:08 UTC 2008

Hoi,
There are two opposing forces, there are those that want to present a
positive face to the WMF and there are those who consider that everything
should be in the open and everything is permitted to be said. The argument
that negative publications impact the ability to raise funds is a powerful
one. There have been people that have indicated never to donate to the WMF
again. When I talk with people from organisations about the WMF, I am often
asked about the latest reason why Wikipedia / the WMF is in imminent danger
of collapse... I get used to it.

With the continuous wrangling the press and the public will get also used to
the notion that ours is a lively community. The good news is that they may
not always have their fact straight, they at least know how to spell
Wikipedia Foundation :)

There have been moves to make the WMF more open in its reporting about what
it is doing and the reasons why. Much of what is reported on is talked to
death and the net effect is not great or more precisely cannot be deduced.
Important to note is that it is very much reporting that is happening, I am
personally convinced that the general mood of the opinions is understood by
both the board of trustees and by the organisation.

When people are of the opinion that decisions have to be shared/vetted by
the "community", they ask for power / influence, this comes at the cost of
making the functioning of the foundation more diffucult. By devolving power
to the chapters by including them prominently in the board of trustees, it
is clear that the discussions about foundation policy are targeted to be
done on a country level. From an organisational point of view I can
understand this experiment as it gives additional relevance to the chapters

It is one powerful argument for the Americans to get their house in order
and finally have their own chapter.

Thanks,
      GerardM