[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 07:07:06 UTC 2008

Hoi,
The seat occupied by Anthere was changed in order to be up for re-election a
year later. It has always been a community seat. The motivation was that
being the chair and the amount of instability at the time, it gives the
board of trustees a little more needed stability.

Jimmy IS in a class of its own. I am convinced that when his seat were a
"community seat" he would easily keep his position. On the other hand his
influence and support makes a world of a difference to Wikipedia and the
Wikimedia Foundation. If he occupies the "community founder" seat and does
this as well as he has done so far, I would not begrudge him not to have to
stand for elections. When you compare his seat with the "specific expertise"
seats, it is hard to express what exact expertise makes Jimmy qualify, I
think that his constant involvement from the start and his intimate
awareness of much what goes on gives him this "specific expertise". In the
end by giving him the "community founder" seat, you express his unique
position that qualifies him as an expert and recognises his position in the
community.
Thanks,
     GerardM