[Foundation-l] Board-announcement: Board Restructuring

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Sun Apr 27 05:07:26 UTC 2008

Michael Snow wrote:
> For answers to additional questions relating to this announcement,
> please look at the FAQ:
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees/Restructure_Announcement_Q%26A

One question has been raised privately that's not covered, and I think
is worth explaining: With 10 seats planned, did the board take into
consideration the possibility that this could result in a deadlock?

The answer is that we did touch on the issue in our discussions, but
concluded it was a relatively minor concern at this point. For one
thing, a 5-5 vote would fail to pass whatever is being voted on,
appropriately so. Working toward agreement is usually better, to me a
measure with that kind of opposition is a sign that problems need to be
worked out before moving forward with it. For another thing, as the
membership of the board changes, inevitably the numbers will change
between odd and even at various points. Right now we have eight members,
in fact, but we certainly didn't want to wait longer to add a treasurer
just because that's an even number.

--Michael Snow