[Foundation-l] Bertelsmann publishes "Wikipedia Encyclopedia in One Volume"

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 19:48:57 UTC 2008

2008/4/24 Kul Takanao Wadhwa <kwadhwa at wikimedia.org>:

>  > In the meantime, I am struggling with the details of adhering to the
>  > letter of the GFDL -- because there is little precedent we are having
>  > to work things out as we go. Someday, I would love to see a "dummy's
>  > guide to publishing under a free content license" -- half of the
>  > problem of using many licenses, even CC, is they're hard to figure out
>  > for the average person.

>  Come to think of it, this is actually a good idea. At least having
>  some type of guide, or a condensed version, would be really helpful
>  to be able to educate various parties out there...and I could really
>  use this as well.

I started this page for the express purpose of reducing the number of
phone calls I got asking how people could reuse images from Wikipedia:

    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Reuse

(Asking for clarification on the trickier bits was where I discovered
how licensing at fsf.org seem to use a Magic 8 Ball for GFDL questions.
The FSF don't have a clue about the license either.)

- d.