[Foundation-l] Wimimedia Radio WAS:RE: Legal position ofaudiorecordings of GFDLcontent?

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 18:12:00 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 5:56 PM, Brian McNeil <brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org>
wrote:

> When the technology is in place, we start streaming. I'll be honest, if
> it's
> all Commons music to start with I don't care. Obviously, I want to see
> Wikinews doing the top of the hour headlines at this point, but the
> relevance of that is only going to increase as we bring in other projects
> and expand the content. The beta should see the "how to do audio" lessons
> from Wikiversity broadcast throughout a segment; stick in the Wikipedia
> podcasts on a Sunday with a Wednesday repeat... You've a radio station. If
> we can get to that point I think we've a project that will just grow
> naturally.

It's a great idea, and I'm really happy to see such positive reception. I've
pointed out to Brian and on the Wikinews page - so I should also point out
here - that there's been an initiative to develop a radio station on
Wikiversity for some time now: <
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wiki_Campus_Radio>. So far, this has mainly
consisted of testing VoIP technology (Asterisk) as a means of sharing ideas,
and using the recorded sessions as basis for further learning material.
Momentum has waxed and waned, and there was significant input from the
WikiCast people when that project was up and running - but this project
might be just what Wikiversity's project needs to get a better focus. I
still have a question, however (which Brian and others have been addressing
on Wikinews): will this be a project independent of Wikimedia servers (a la
Wikipedia Weekly), will it be a project aligned to a particular Wikimedia
project, or will it be a separate Wikimedia project?

Cormac