[Foundation-l] Wimimedia Radio WAS:RE: Legal position of audio recordings of GFDLcontent?

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Wed Apr 23 11:56:40 UTC 2008

Let's run with the idea that provoked these questions to foundation-l, and
to the FSF. The most apparent one to most people here is the Spoken Articles
on Wikipedia. They're from GFDL material and looking at the license as it
stands, none of the people drafting it dreamt an encyclopedia - let alone
audio portions thereof - would ever exist and be covered by it. Perhaps it
is fortuitous that this aspect has come up before the new license is in
place? Perhaps there is a wider scope to consider in drafting it?

That "wider scope" is what one of the contributors to this discussion has
highlighted as a seriously headache-forming area under current constraints,
namely Radio. Trust me, dealing with a license that was drafted when
hard-cased floppy disks were cutting-edge technology is going to give Mike
Godwin headaches, not just the average list contributor.

So, yes, as a few people on a few of the non-WP projects are aware, the idea
that provoked these questions was indeed radio. A 24/7 MediaWiki Radio
service running Wikinews new pieces, spoken Wikipedia, music from Commons,
Lectures workshops and tutorials from Wikiversity, Quote of the Day from
Wikiquote, and "Book of the Month" from Wikisource. As the discussion on the
Communications Committee list saw this labelled, "WikiRadio 4" (See WP
article on BBC Radio 4").

What are people's thoughts on this? Kicking the idea about on Wikinews'
Water Cooler has made it look that filling a repeated six or eight-hour
schedule is achievable within a realistic timeframe. It does not conflict
with projects getting off the ground to do podcasts, but would mean they'd
need advised to start working towards fitting to broadcast time constraints
as a way of having an eye on the future. Could we aim for a radio station
for Wikimania 2008, with Spanish lessons broadcast in the preceding
weeks/months? Could we persuade Wikipedia people to add "doing a recording"
to the composition of the daily main page?

Brian McNeil