[Foundation-l] (Flashback) A short (and revised) FAQ about Wikimania in Alexandria

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 07:27:22 UTC 2008

2008/4/21 Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com>:

> Mike Godwin wrote:
>  > Greg Maxwell writes:
>  >
>  >>  In the message I responded to you stated that the collection of
>  >> emergency contact information would present considerable privacy
>  >> concerns.   Here you seem to be suggesting that the foundation would
>  >> instead prefer to pass off the collection to a volunteer driven
>  >> project.  This seems like a completely inconsistent position, but
>  >> perhaps I just do not understand.
>  >
>  > I guess I'm both callous and inconsistent. Next thing you know I'll be
>  > downright evil. (That's where you going, isn't it? Just admit it.)
>  >
>  > It should be noted that the concerns that have been raised to me, both
>  > publicly and privately, are themselves inconsistent. Some people are
>  > concerned about their privacy. Some are concerned about security. Some
>  > are concerned about both privacy and security. Some are concerned
>  > about neither. Some are concerned about wholly separate matters. Some
>  > feel that they can't post publicly to this list without themselves
>  > being criticized.
>  >
>  > So don't be surprised if you hear from me representations of
>  > inconsistent concerns. This is not exactly a consistent crowd.  (News
>  > flash!)
>  >
>  >> I'm at a bit of a loss as to what means could possibly be more
>  >> efficient and effective than simply adding a single additional field
>  >> to the official Wikimania registration form.  Could you please
>  >> elaborate?
>  >
>  > I can elaborate by saying that I think you have spent more time
>  > responding to me than it might have taken you to come up with a
>  > solution that addresses the concerns you state here. This strikes me
>  > as callous.
>  >
>  > Is there a registration form somewhere that the Foundation has access
>  > to, Greg, that you don't? I don't know of one. Have you considered
>  > making your concerns known to those who are actually organizing the
>  > conference, such as Delphine and the local team? (The Foundation is
>  > only paying for it.)
>
>  I... no... I totally disagree here. The Foundation is not ONLY paying
>  for it.
>
>  Actually, it is really hardly *paying*, because the past three
>  Wikimanias have been a zero sum cost, or even made a tiny benefit (used
>  for following Wikimanias).
>  The costs of Wikimania are supported by sponsors, participants,
>  sometimes chapters, and lots' of good will (free work by wikipedians or
>  by local organizations).
>  The major real costs for the Foundation are to pay for the participation
>  of board members/staff members.
>  The Foundation is simply NOT paying for the conference. It is helping
> [...]

The Foundation's role is a little less passive than this. It is
ultimately responsible for choosing the winning bid/city...
 At least, the jury is composed of WF board members and people
involved with past Wikimanias. Am I wrong in thinking the jury falls
under the WF?

WF doesn't merely facilitate these events, it has an active role in
saying "go" or "no".

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)