[Foundation-l] Language pack for MediaWiki

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 10:06:22 UTC 2008

Hoi,
We have been paying out to people who helped us all out by localising
MediaWiki. Many of the messages including Hindi are much better supported in
this language package as a result of the work done in the month and a half
since the release of MediaWiki 1.12.

Several other language that did not qualify started to update their
localisations in the same period, Manx and Sicilian to name only two.

What is important to realise about the "bounty" project is that we want to
have all our supported languages properly localised. The initial work takes
a lot of effort but once the localisation is done, it is not that hard to
keep up with the work. The best localisers are the people who care for their
Wikipedia; they understand what it is that they are doing.

With better support for MediaWiki through language packs (currently only
MediaWiki core), we make it more interesting for other organisations to
adopt MediaWiki. Because of our success in localising extensions, all
extensions, we aim to stimulate the cooperation on the development and
maintenance of extensions as well.
Thanks,
     GerardM