[Foundation-l] (Flashback) A short (and revised) FAQ about Wikimania in Alexandria

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Sun Apr 20 19:40:13 UTC 2008

Mark writes:

> Rather than being on the defensive and posting endlessly complaining

I looked up "endlessly" on Wiktionary, and I don't think the word
means quite what you think it does.

I certainly admit that I occasionally lose patience with the carping
and personal attacks on foundation-l -- sniping that I suspect is more
likely to seem "endless" than my occasional complaint, to anyone
applying NPOV.

I apologize for having lost patience in this instance. Obviously, when
one's well-meaning efforts get met with accusations of dishonesty and
anti-Semitism, it can try anyone's patience.

> about the hostile environment on Foundation-l, you could've just
> coughed up

Why did you use "coughed up" here?  Generally, this locution is
applied when one assumes that the person being questioned is reluctant
to provide information. But this whole exchange began when I
*proffered* information a second time, without even being asked, in
order to get what I hoped would be constructive feedback.  "Coughed
up" has connotations of interrogation -- I think it's safe to say you
know what rhetoric you are using here. Think about why you chose those
words and how I -- another human being, with normal human feelings --
might feel upon seeing them.

> this great progress report here when someone first
> questioned you, even if they were "rude" or "sniping", and we would've
> saved about 10 messages.

Thanks for the attempt at constructive criticism.  I disagree with it,
however -- I think "this great progress report" (thanks!) couldn't
have been "coughed up" without first learning the extent to which some
of the interrogators here were misunderstanding the FAQ. And that
probably means that 10 messages (although maybe not these particular
10) were necessary regardless.

--Mike