[Foundation-l] Free license templates

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 20:59:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 3:36 PM, White Cat
<wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:

>  The tone of your response is not in the spirit of what I am trying to do
>  here. I find it a bit repulsive. I would encourage you to tone it down.
>
>  I am not asking for an English naming. "PD" is an abbreviation like "UN".
>  What you say isn't necessarily true. Japanese wikipedia for example uses
>  commons compatible names for their license templates.
>
>  http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:%E7%94%BB%E5%83%8F%E3%81%AE%E8%91%97%E4%BD%9C%E6%A8%A9%E8%A1%A8%E7%A4%BA%E3%83%86%E3%83%B3%E3%83%97%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC%E3%83%88
>
>  It is obviously more than workable.
>
>  I think Thai people can easily read the content of the template even if they
>  completely fail to read the templates name (say "{{GFDL}}") in the code.
>  People who edit wikipedia will figure out what such abbreviation mean in a
>  very short period of time. People who do not edit wikipedia will never see
>  these template names.
>

>      - White Cat

People incorrectly upload  images, not just when uploading from local
wikis to commons, but even when uploading directly to commons.
Tempalte naming won't stop that problem.

Now, what I've understood, is that you want all wikis to make a change
 (and that change isn't being proposed on the wikis) to accomodate
commons.
You also need to take int oaccount that wikis have local uplaods, and
thus thir  template namings need to reflect the usage and language for
the wiki users, with a much higher priority than commons needs.

Commosn has always complained when wikipedias demand commons to do
something, telling "we're not here to serve wikipedias, we're a
project on our own"
Same goes reverse, wikipedias are not to serve commons, and you want
to run a bot (for an unapproved task) to change widely used templates
in many wikis without first discussing it with the wikis you will be
affecting