[Foundation-l] Free license templates

White Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 18:32:35 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 7:58 PM, Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com> wrote:

> While that is a good idea, I don't see it as being feasible. Implementing
> dozens of template changes across even more wikis isn't easily
> coordinated, plus the localization factors come into issue. When content
> is moved /to/ the commons, the templates can/need to be updated to reflect
> the set used there.
>
> What I would suggest would be a list comparing the commons templates to
> local
> projects (ie: {{pd}} on commons is {{xyz}} on some other wiki). This
> wouldn't be
> as hard to do as a mass change and would aid those on commons in properly
> categorizing the work brought over from local wikis.
>
> -Chad
>
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:34 PM, White Cat
> <wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Although this has been probably discussed before...
> >
> >  We currently have a problem with the names chosen for licenses on all
> wikis.
> >  Let me explain. Consider the following 5 categories. I have noticed
> that
> >  they all have a different name for most of the free licenses. Each
> language
> >  tends to translate the license name and sticks to that name.
> >
> >  http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategori:Resim_telif_etiketleri
> >
> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%C3%A9gorie:Mod%C3%A8le_de_licence_d%27image
> >  http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:Vorlage:Lizenz_f%C3%BCr_Bilder
> >
> http://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%98%D0%B0:%D0%A8%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B8_%D0%B7%D0%B0_%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B5
> >  http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categoria:Template_copyright
> >
> >  Ideally all freely licensed images will eventually be moved to commons.
> So
> >  all copyright related info should be as commons compatible as possible.
> >  Translated template names cause a few problems.
> >
> >  This practice will lead to commons having hundreds of redirects per
> free
> >  license. Juggling them makes work on commons more difficult. For
> example
> >  each of those redirects would need to be protected against vandalism as
> such
> >  vandalism may even have legal implications. For example someone may
> sneak a
> >  disclaimer to GFDL templates. Such template names are also not
> bot-friendly.
> >

> >  I would suggest a uniformed template name on all wikis.
> >
> >    - White Cat

Local projects should try to be as commons compatible as possible. Different
names for free licenses should be discouraged. I can provide bot assistance
to make the necesary changes.

I do not feel it is not feasible to ask commons to continuously clean up
after wikis. Thats a constant waste of time. We can solve the issue as early
as the upload.

It is not too late to make such a change. However if fewer and fewer wikis
agree to use a standarised template name the problem will become
increasingly difficult.

We all should work toward our uniform goal a free encyclopedia and/or free
media repository.

   - White Cat