[Foundation-l] Free license templates

White Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 16:34:17 UTC 2008

Although this has been probably discussed before...

We currently have a problem with the names chosen for licenses on all wikis.
Let me explain. Consider the following 5 categories. I have noticed that
they all have a different name for most of the free licenses. Each language
tends to translate the license name and sticks to that name.

http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategori:Resim_telif_etiketleri
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%C3%A9gorie:Mod%C3%A8le_de_licence_d%27image
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategorie:Vorlage:Lizenz_f%C3%BCr_Bilder
http://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%98%D0%B0:%D0%A8%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B8_%D0%B7%D0%B0_%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B5
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categoria:Template_copyright

Ideally all freely licensed images will eventually be moved to commons. So
all copyright related info should be as commons compatible as possible.
Translated template names cause a few problems.

This practice will lead to commons having hundreds of redirects per free
license. Juggling them makes work on commons more difficult. For example
each of those redirects would need to be protected against vandalism as such
vandalism may even have legal implications. For example someone may sneak a
disclaimer to GFDL templates. Such template names are also not bot-friendly.

I would suggest a uniformed template name on all wikis.

   - White Cat