[Foundation-l] (Flashback) A short (and revised) FAQ about Wikimania in Alexandria

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Apr 19 14:56:08 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> I'm curious which side of this conflict are "jews" on? The Egypt side,
> or the undefined "other" side?

Unlike you I would prefer not to emphasize the conflict.  Currently
there is no overt conflict between Israel and Egypt, which is not to say
that there are no idiots willing to grasp at an opportunity to prove
their idiocy.  Those exist all over the world, without regard to the
relatively more open official policies. A yarmulka-wearing jew can be
just as subject to discriminatory behaviour in the United States as in
Egypt, and probably knows to avoid questionable neighborhoods in his
home country.  I do note the absence of Israeli voices in this
discussion, and they are much closer to the issues than North American
voices.

One does well to avoid potential flash potential flash points if
possible.  The mere trappings of a religion are one such avoidable flash
point.  Security begins with the self.  One should not depend on the
assessment of others for one's security.  Risk tolerance varies from one
person to another.  No-one should feel an obligation to attend an event
in a country where he will not personally feel safe   It is unreasonable
to believe that the security provided by an organization will ever
satisfy all the concerns expressed by the least risk tolerant among us.

Ec