[Foundation-l] (Flashback) A short (and revised) FAQ about Wikimania in Alexandria

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Sat Apr 19 08:00:57 UTC 2008

Geoffrey Plurde writes:

> Asking people with a vested interest is never a good idea.

In my view, this is nonsense. It's best to ask people with all sorts
of points of view.

> I would recommend hitting up a travel agent/academic expert/security
> consultant specializing in the Middle East for information that
> should be incorporated.

We have consulted a range of experts, and may consult more. We are
keeping track of current reports as well.

> Also, I wouldn't have blind faith in the police in a third world
> country.

I don't have blind faith in the police of any country.

Mark Williamson writes:

> I have to agree with Dan as well, and do not think it is reasonable
> that Mike ask Dan to do the job for him.

I was quite careful not to ask Dan to *do* anything.  I asked him a
precise question based on his posted criticism that we were wrong to
ask the local team for cultural advice and advice on other issues. If
he comes up with a constructive suggestion, I may well follow it. If
you think Dan is incapable of coming up with a useful suggestion then
you think less of him than I do.

I certainly wouldn't ask Dan to do my job.  I asked him to support his
statement by providing a suggested alternative (or several, if he
wishes). It is sometimes a useful heuristic do to this. And part of my
job is paying attention to useful advice.

> An independent security firm should be consulted, but it is the
> Foundation's responsibility to select that firm, not Dan Rosenthal's,
> or mine.

Which firm do you recommend, based on your own experience with such
firms?  The Foundation is open to useful suggestions from its critics,
especially if they have experience in a relevant area.

--Mike