[Foundation-l] possible reconsideration, unifying criterion

Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 07:29:25 UTC 2008

David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Yeah, but the policy was pulled from the language committee's backside.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. Should we revert to the
pre-subcommittee policy
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_new_languages?oldid=474152#Information>?
Essentially, the policy was "list your request below, achieve
consensus in a vote, and poke developers yourself until they (maybe)
create it."

If you agree that the current policy is better than the previous
policy, it doesn't matter whose backside it was pulled from. The
community is actively discussing what to change, so the policy is not
decided solely by a black-box cabal.

Furthermore, most of the policy was not written by the subcommittee.
It was proposed through the community in November 2006:
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Language_subcommittee/2007#Reform>.
This was at a time when discussion occurred directly on the page, so
the proposal popped up on virtually every requester's watchlist. It
was eventually implemented with no opposition, and months later
adopted and amended by the subcommittee.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)