[Foundation-l] [Langcom-l] Ancient Greek reconstructed an analysis of a proposal for a new Wikipedia

Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 13:22:06 UTC 2008

Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Please read the proposal better next time. "sufficiently expressive" is used
>  for the proposed criteria for constructed and reconstructed languages.
>  Natural languages are not like Navajo are not in that class.

The "reconstructed" languages you suggest are natural languages
without modern native speakers.

Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>  This "vague statement" has been there from the start, it is only vague
>  because of your insistence that it is to be interpreted in a way it was not
>  intended to be. The intent was that it was to be read as an exception on the
>  rule for native speakers. I know because I put it there.

You did not put it there. It was present in my original draft written
in November 2006:
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Language_proposal_policy?diff=466496#Prerequisites>.
This predated my joining of the subcommittee, so you had no say in
that draft. It was intended as an additional requirement, as shown by
the fact that there's no requirement for native speakers in that draft
to exempt them from. It was only left as an oversight, and then you
blocked its removal when we noticed.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)