[Foundation-l] UNIQUE AND WORKABLE CRITERION

Crazy Lover always_yours.forever at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 18:31:14 UTC 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 10:39:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] UNIQUE AND WORKABLE CRITERION

>  * what kind of languages can have wikis?
>
>  any that has a standarized writing system and enough writers and
>  readers to form a viable community and audience. whether a particular
>  language qualifies depends on discussion.

While the basic idea is about right, I think we need to be more
precise. If we adopt your criterion, we're going to get disputes over
the definitions of "writer", "reader" and "viable". Do writers and
readers need to be native speakers, fluent or just have a basic
understanding of the language, for example?

native speakers, it is no longer mandatory. then they can be natural, artificial or classics.

writer: someone that is able to write the language acceptably?, well?, fluent? that another person understand that he/she has written.(understandable).

reader: someone that is able to understand the language that is reading.

viable: i'm not thinking in numbers. that allows it to function without problems.???

this is not a exact science. accordingly we need to accept some flexibility..

C.L.