[Foundation-l] Ancient Greek Wikipedia, possible reconsideration

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Thu Apr 17 03:24:56 UTC 2008

In a message dated 4/16/2008 11:05:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wknight8111 at gmail.com writes:

There  must be native speakers of a language in order to read
material written in  it.

I beg to disagree. I am a native English speaker, but there are many topics
I prefer to read in Hebrew, my second language. And it is not just religious
texts (though I can't imagine reading the Bible in English; it misses  all the
word play). When I was in college, I preferred reading Plato and  Spinoza in
Hebrew (though I read Descartes in English and Kant in both).  One of my
favorite authors is Portuguese Nobel laureate Jose Saramago. I have  most of his
books, but in Hebrew.

The point is that people who are bi- or multi-lingual often identify
specific topics with specific languages, and don't necessarily prefer their  native
language.

Danny

listings at AOL Autos.