[Foundation-l] Ancient Greek Wikipedia, possible reconsideration

Dovi Jacobs dovijacobs at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 02:38:52 UTC 2008

>Your suggestion to require "competent" contributors also
>seems subjective to me. What is a "competent" contributor?
>How can we measure "competency"? Do we simply ask the
>contributors whether they're competent, and approve the
>wiki if they answer yes? (Why would they answer no?)

Your question would be better formulated in terms of
"verifiability". To whatever degree you accept the word
of prospective Wikipedia writers that they are "native"
speakers and set up a project, you should also accept the
word of prospective writers that they are "competent". To
whatever degree you attempt to verify the former, verify
the latter exactly the same way! There is really no
difference on an operational level.

>Another detail you don't address is whether we want
>wikis in languages nobody will read. Should we have
>wikis in Klingon, the language spoken by warrior aliens
>in Star Trek? How about Quenya and Sindarin, the
>languages spoken by Elves in Tolkien's books? These all
>have language codes, but no real users.

Though on a personal level I have far less sympathy for
these, I note that according to GerardM's strongly
stated arguments they are all perfectly fine (while Latin
and Greek are not). Do these have ISO codes?

Dovi