[Foundation-l] How other huge volunteer projects do it

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 08:02:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 10:01 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/scientific_study_about_debian_governance_and_organization

I read this article and it is true that we still may learn a from
Debian. It is the only big free content community older than
Wikimedian one; but, Wikimedian community is bigger, much wider and
much more complex. At the other side, I think that we are now in the
process of covering all our basic needs. WMF went to the legal side
and community side left empty. (But, this is the known issue...)

After we cover community side, we will be definitely on our own. There
will be similar movements in the future, but there is no one in the
history.

As this paper is useful, it would be good to see papers which deal
with Wikimedian community or with some community/project/movement
which may be compared with Wikimedian one. Without relevant researches
our future is almost completely unpredictable.

BTW, do we have some body which takes care about community future? I
mean, is it a job of some particular committee, ED or whatever? If so,
are there some reports?