[Foundation-l] New wiki creation moratorium

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Apr 15 18:02:41 UTC 2008

Simetrical wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  "require" seems unlikely. What difference is there between a project
>>  created today and one created a year ago from a legal standpoint? Do
>>  you mean to say it's more convenient to wait?
>>

> I vaguely recall something I'd heard in the past, either from a draft
> of the FDL 1.3 or a rumor or something.  There was to be a new clause
> that went something like this:
>
> "If the covered work was created principally by public collaboration
> on a website editable by anyone, which was created before the date
> June 25, 2005 [pulling that date out of nowhere], the licensee may
> choose to use the work under the terms of the GNU Wiki License instead
> of this license."

I have no knowledge of whether this is in fact going to be part of the
license, but I do know that something like it has been requested on some
other lists, so it's quite possible. The worry among some not-Wikipedia
GFDL users is that any sort of open-ended "you can migrate licenses via
a wiki" clause would encourage creative abuse, with stuff that was
really intended by its authors to be and stay GFDL ending up getting
migrated against their wishes. Putting a time limit on the migration
(especially one that's already past) limits the amount of creative
license migration anyone can do.

-Mark