[Foundation-l] New wiki creation moratorium

Kat Walsh kat at mindspillage.org
Tue Apr 15 17:42:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 4/15/08, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  >  The main, really helpful thing WMF could do would be
>  >  to give deadline on this. (i.e. The moratorium will
>  >  not last longer than X months reagardless of the
>  >  status of negotiations.
>
>  If we don't have the FDL 1.3 by April 30, we'll definitely try to find
>  a better solution ASAP.

I don't really see the point in a moratorium on new wikis. Any project
started after now is going to be the least of any problems we might
have.

Since they haven't been started until now, they're probably not going
to have the momentum to be tremendous by the time any new license is
released. Additionally, the founding community and major contributors
will largely still be around at the time any big sticking points come
up.

I don't think whatever problems might be abated by waiting justify
delaying approval of these projects, and as the one who insisted upon
the public consultation period before anyone decides on anything, I
really don't want to see a situation arise that would artificially
pressure it to be shorter because there are dozens of frustrated
communities waiting on it.

-Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: kat at wikimedia.org * Personal: kat at mindspillage.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mindspillage * (G)AIM:Mindspillage
mindspillage or mind|wandering on irc.freenode.net * email for phone