[Foundation-l] New wiki creation moratorium

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 15 16:53:06 UTC 2008

On 4/15/08, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>  If the new wikis can't start until the
>  public consultation is over (if you're going to start them before that
>  consultation, you'll have to do so under the old license, which you
>  could do now), that is a pressure to rush the consultation.

No, the two are completely separate, as I said. The decision to switch
to, for example, CC-BY-SA (if that's what FDL 1.3 allows us to do) has
nothing to do with the decision not to launch new wikis right now due
to the way the license is phrased. Once we have the text of the final
license before us, we'll have a discussion about the best way to
create new wikis. And that could be, in fact, to license them under
the FDL-only, though I doubt it. But the point of the moratorium is to
make that open discussion possible, rather than to silently implement
some decision in the "best interests" of the small wiki communities.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation