[Foundation-l] New wiki creation moratorium

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Apr 14 22:32:43 UTC 2008

On 4/14/08, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>  You conveniently neglect the third alternative: to continue starting new
>  projects under GFDL 1.2.  We have no way of knowing whether the new
>  agreement will be released within the next week, or whether the parties
>  are so deadlocked as to put that agreement on a plane with vapourware.

There's no negotiation deadlock; they're just trying to fix some
potential bugs with the new license before it's released. As I said,
if for some reason things get stuck, we'll figure out another
solution. Nobody is trying to pull a fast one here; quite the
opposite: We're trying to protect the interests of the small wikis by
doing this, as will become apparent when the license is released.

> If you are really intent on a a transparent and open
> process, then that must allow for the possibility that the new licence
> or parts of it will not be acceptable to the community.

The parameters of any migration to FDL 1.3 and, by extension, CC-BY-SA
have already been defined by the Board:

So, yes, there will be a community consultation process before any
decision is made upon release of FDL 1.3. That being said: Due to the
way the license works, any re-user will be able to treat content we
currently host as being licensed under FDL 1.3.

Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Support Free Knowledge: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

More information about the foundation-l mailing list