[Foundation-l] When is a Wikipedia not a Wikipedia ?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 10:56:37 UTC 2008

On 14/04/2008, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

>  What the Alemannic community has decided is to fold all the projects into
>  their Wikipedia and have separate name spaces for the content of their old
>  projects.  Their communities seem to have
>  decided<http://draft.blogger.com/:als:Wikipedia:Treffen_der_Wikipedianer/Sommertreffen_2007/Protokoll#Andri_alemannischi_Proj.C3.A4kt>on
>  this, they want their name spaces now or they will move all their
>  content
>  into the Wikipedia name space.
>  What I wonder is if this is something that the wider community is aware off
>  and, if this is considered to be acceptable. When such major changes are
>  going to happen, it makes sense to include the change to the more
>  appropriate gsw language tag.

This sounds like the idea I mentioned a few months ago of a
"wikicompendium" for small languages (as in, "not much on the
Internet") - where any content in the language is basically a good
idea for that small language.

Remember that the separation into
encyclopedia/sources/books/quotes/dictionary came from the needs of
English Wikipedia at given times; it wasn't done because of being some
sort of natural division. So there's no reason to presume it's the one
true way to do things.

If they keep the content in separate namespaces, that should work
nicely and allow them to separate it out again later.

- d.