[Foundation-l] Introduction to the internal workings of the language subcommittee

Jesse Martin (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 09:57:44 UTC 2008

Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I think the question was more along the lines of, what if the larger
>  community seems to have reached an agreement that is at odds with the
>  consensus within the langcom?

That is a different question entirely. I think it's unlikely that a
volunteer subcommittee will be so out of touch that its consensus will
contradict community consensus. Furthermore, this is a logical
paradox; since members of the subcommittee are members of the
community, there cannot be a community consensus unless at least some
of the language subcommittee members agree, in which case there's no
subcommittee consensus to contradict it. (Unless you mean a community
majority agreement, which is not consensus.)

Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  Regarding diversity of opinions in the subcommittee, a little less
>  >  would be nice so we can argue less. ;)
>
>  Diversity of opinions may make consensus more difficult, but it is
>  necessary to have a truly well-functioning committee in any area.

Don't worry, that comment wasn't serious (as denoted by the wink smiley).

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse Plamondon-Willard (Pathoschild)