[Foundation-l] New wiki creation moratorium

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Apr 14 07:06:47 UTC 2008

On 4/13/08, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
>  But then, I haven't seen FDL 1.3... and guess what, it's confidential!
>  This is starting to feel like the government here... everything is
>  secret. Whatever happened to transparency?

We can impose transparency on ourselves, but respecting the
confidentiality requirements of others is just that: respect. When
faced with the draft GFDL 1.3 text, we had two options:

- We could either dual-license all new wikis under CC-BY-SA to avoid
problems later, without providing much of an explanation;
- We could postpone wiki-creation until the new license is released.

We chose the latter option, because we'd much rather discuss any
substantial changes to wiki licensing openly, with the full text of
the license visible to the community. So, this decision was in fact
made in the interest of a transparent process.

(And yes, we did take the current Incubator situation into account
when reviewing the text of the license.)
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation