[Foundation-l] New wiki creation moratorium

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sun Apr 13 22:47:40 UTC 2008

On 4/13/08, Luiz Augusto <lugusto at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Hungarian Wikinews, Erzya and Extremaduran and Gan Wikipedia, and
>  > Japanese Wikiversity are approved projects currently waiting creation.
>  >
>  > These projects had waited for a month, before Brion said about a
>  > moratorium. It is unknown, when GFDL 1.3 will be released, few weeks or
>  > maybe few months?

The drafts we've seen of the FDL 1.3, which we have to treat as
confidential at this time, require this unusual step. The release of
the new license is expected shortly - if things get delayed
significantly further, we'll find an alternative solution. I apologize
for the inconvenience to the new project communities waiting for wikis
to be created.

Since Wikinews is under CC-BY, there's indeed no reason to put new
Wikinewses on hold, so Hungarian Wikinews can go ahead.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation