[Foundation-l] Ancient Greek Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 09:01:23 UTC 2008

Hoi,
I do not presume we know how Dutch was pronounced at the time of Vondel
still Vondel is performed on stage. When the pronunciation is done in a way
that makes it better understood for a modern audience, it makes in many ways
for a better stage production.

When teachers write new texts to ease the learning curve, I expect that
still at the end the language is taught with a purpose. I expect that
languages like Latin and Old Greek are taught to teach about the origins of
a society. In the end, the new texts are a means to an end. In the end the
ancient texts and their relevance to our modern society is what is being
studied.

In my opinion, Ancient Greek is extinct, it evolved over time and
consequently there is no one way to write texts in this language. If people
want a Wikipedia in reconstructed Ancient Greek, they can apply for an
ISO-639 code and it will be considered like any other constructed language.
Thanks,
       GerardM