[Foundation-l] Ancient Greek Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 08:20:50 UTC 2008

Hoi,
The Wikimedia Foundation aims to bring knowledge to all people in the world.
"Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment." The best way to inform is by
using the mother tongue of people. There are languages where certain words
or concepts are not available and people either learn about the associated
subjects in another language or they add new words, new concepts to their
language.

As Milos wrote typically extinct and constructed languages are considered
together. What they have in common is that both are not optimal in bringing
knowledge to people. What they are good at is bringing knowledge about the
language itself. When you read a well written text about a subject, you are
informed about the subject and at the same time you learn the language and
you learn the words that are needed for that language.

As I have argued before, an extinct language that is of relevance only
because of its historic value should be confined to its vocabulary. When you
start to expand the meaning of words, when you start to add words to the
language it is no longer true to say that a text written with such
innovations helps you understand the original texts in that language. When
writing in ancient Greek is part of a course, then it is for your professor
to evaluate the text. Obviously it is an essential tool in learning a
language but it does not imply that it is of value to other people who are
studying ancient Greek.

When an extinct language is brought back from extinction, the technicla term
is re-constructed, it is essentially a different language. When you applied
for an ISO-639 code that says that the language is "Re-constructed Old
Greek" you make explicitly clear that even though it looks like Old Greek,
it is not.

This requirement for being precise about in what language a WMF project
exist for any language. When we cannot pin down what language it is exactly
that e will be expressed in a Wikipedia, we will not promote a project from
"discussion" to "eligible". We use the ISO-639-3 as a reference. You are
welcome to apply for a label for reconstructed Old Greek.

When you consider a language like Dutch, you will agree that it has evolved
over time. The language of Vondel is almost a different language and it is
not understood without  considerable effort for native Dutch people. When
someone studied the language of Vondel and would write a Wikipedia article
in that language the article would be deleted. When you talk consider old
Greek, the language will have evolved over time and consequently the oldest
Greek is likely to be quite different from the latest original writing. I
can even argue that there is no singular old Greek, there are many. With a
living language you do know how to write because you are writing for the
living no such reference exists for an extinct language.

The arguments the language committee uses are clear. They are published and
they are objective. You may not like them, but they are the arguments we
use. When people have issues, the arguments have to be convincing to make a
difference.
Thanks,
     GerardM