[Foundation-l] Future board meeting (5-7 april 08)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Apr 13 05:51:33 UTC 2008

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Aphaia wrote:
>
>> Even if the God Almighty wrote the order, man can breach it, if he
>> will. I think it unrealistic something written down can prevent anyone
>> to do something, either bad or good, deliberately.
>>
> Indeed, but it is worth pointing out (and I am not commenting on the
> issue at hand, but making a general philosophical point) that most
> people live up to agreements, that people could do a lot of things that
> they won't do if they have signed an agreement not to do it.
In many cases, yes, but the clueful people would do that anyway, with or
without a signed agreement.  It may require some discussion so that a
newcomer has an understanding of the boundaries, but that is far removed
from some kind of pseudo-legally binding contract.  The clueful among us
also understand the principle of "Ignore all rules," as one that goes
beyond a mere excuse for getting one's way.  A sense of ethical
responsibility is more important than a signed agreement.  How much does
a signed agreement add to that?  If it's a matter of rogue elements, how
do such individuals get on the Board in the first place?  If they engage
in outrageous behaviour after leaving the Board, all that legal action
will accomplish is to create a spectacle that will give otherwise
unavailable credibility to their views.

For now, in the absence of any real need, the impression left by such a
proposal is of a Board wanting to protect its own vested interests
rather than its projects.

Ec