[Foundation-l] Future board meeting (5-7 april 08)

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 16:53:10 UTC 2008

 From Black's Law Dictionary:

Disparagement n. 1. A derogatory comparison of one thing with another
<the disparagement consisted in comparing the acknowledged liar to a
murderer>. 2. The act or an instance of castigating or detracting from
the reputation of, esp. unfairly or untruthfully <when she told the
press the details of her husband's philandering, her statements
amounted to disparagement>. 3. A false and injurious statement that
discredits or detracts from the reputation of another's property,
product or business. To recover in tort for disparagement. the
plaintiff must prove that the statement caused a third party to take
some action resulting in specific pecuniary loss to the plaintiff. --
Also termed injurious falsehood. -- More narrowly termed slander of
title; trade libel; slander of goods. See TRADE DISPARAGEMENT. Cf.
commercial defamation under DEFAMATION. [Cases: Libel and Slander
KeyCite 130, 133. C.J.S. Libel and Slander; Injurious Falsehood
§§204-206, 209.]  4. Reproach, disgrace, or indignity <self-importance
is a disparagement of greatness>.  5. Hist. The act or an instance of
pairing an heir in marriage with someone of an inferior social rank
<the guardian's arranging for the heir's marriage to a chimney sweep
amounted to disparagement>. -- disparage, vb.

(Westlaw is down, so I had to hand type this from my hard copy, so any
errors are from my typing).

-Dan