[Foundation-l] Criteria for the closure of projects.

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 11:43:04 UTC 2008

Agreed. We are trying to fit old projects into the terms of new ones.
This is completely unreasonable, and nobody would've ever dreamed of
requiring new projects even to have that many articles (do we now?) if
it hadn't been for some amazingly quick work on the part of a couple
of projects (including Siberian...)

Not that I am against this limit, as the incubator is a RELATIVELY
safe place for Wikis to grow (for some reason, people want to delete
test wikis that are small and/or inactive... that strikes me as BAD
and WRONG as long as it is in a real language with an ISO code; if it
is not a real language with an ISO code, move it to incubator plus),
and it is much more comforting to know that a Wiki already has 1000
articles when it is created than to know it is starting from 0, like
Tumbuka, or even 250, like some of the more recent ones have done.

But again, it strikes me as unreasonable to impose these restrictions
on existing Wikis. If there is any sort of restriction, the number of
articles should be much, much lower... 10, 50, or at the most, 100. Of
course, these are articles written in the language, not linkspam or
"...translate to xx language"-type texts (which are often effectively
spam, as the [[India]], [[True Jesus Church]], and now various small
villages in Europe's pages have scattered across various odd Wikis
without or with very poor translation).

I don't personally think the Lak Wikipedia is the best example of a
healthy Wiki... perhaps instead we should look at the Ewe Wikipedia.
It would be safe under Gerard's limits because it has, I believe, a
completely translated basic interface... but what if it did not? Many
times, the user who jumpstarts a project is technologically not ready
to make a leap between editing Wikipedia and translating system
messages on TranslateWiki, at least not for a while. They are content
to just write articles... and what is wrong with that?

Gerard is convinced that a Wiki with less than 1000 articles that is
not fully translated cannot survive, but this is simply not true. Many
Wikis have remained largely untranslated until well after they reach a
critical mass of articles. Threats of closure are not the way to get
people to do those translations.

Mark