[Foundation-l] Proposal: Addition to the general disclaimer

Howard Cheng howard at howcheng.com
Fri Apr 11 07:02:48 UTC 2008

I would like to propose additions to the general disclaimer found in the
footer of all Wikimedia sites.

Currently on Commons, there's a {{personality rights}} template that is
applied to photos of living or recently deceased people to inform
potential downloaders that this photo may not be entirely usable for
them depending their intended use and whatever jurisdiction they happen
to be living in.

This templates are applied inconsistently to images that probably should
have them. Meanwhile, [[WP:NDA]] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:NDA>
specifically cautions against the use of disclaimers, one reason being
that inconsistent use could potentially open us to legal exposure.

Note that we already have text about trademarks (at least in en-WP and
Commons -- I haven't checked other sites).

Thus, I would like to see something about personality rights in images
in the general disclaimer, rather than having to apply this template to
each and every photo of a person to whom personality rights may apply.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
--
Howard Cheng