[Foundation-l] Future board meeting (5-7 april 08)

Florence Devouard anthere at anthere.org
Thu Apr 10 13:38:57 UTC 2008

<Anthere9-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

 >> --->Board Membership and Employment
 >> The board decided there would be no restrictions regarding to a board
 >> member becoming a staff member, nor for a staff member to become a board
 >> member.
 >
 > Hmm. Perhaps it would be best to clarify whether this means transferring
 > from the board to the staff and vice versa,
 > or whether it is intended to mean that even
 > simultaneous board membership and staff job are possible. If the latter
 > I have to say I am somewhat surprised....
 >
 > I think the community has expressed fairly explicitly that such dual
 > roles would mix things up. Though on the obverse side, I suppose
 > arguably the treasurer is in some sense inextricably connected at
 > the hip with staff in some senses.
 >
 > Of course one way is to not make separation of roles in the
 > bylaws, but just rely on best practises and custom to make
 > sure that in cases where roles need not overlap, they stay
 > in their own bailiwick.
 >
 > Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]

Oh, absolutely. Sorry if it was unclear. Tranfer from one to other is
possible. Simultaneous positions as staff and board member is not okay.

In our bylaws, the treasurer can be a board member OR not. It is
probably best that it be a board member... I would very strongly advise
against having a treasurer who is also a staff member. It strikes me as
not a good idea if the treasurer has an oversight role.

Thanks for pointing this out Cimon, and for allowing me to clarify.

Ant