[Foundation-l] Future board meeting (5-7 april 08)

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 12:36:27 UTC 2008

On 4/10/08, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --->Board Membership and Employment
> The board decided there would be no restrictions regarding to a board
> member becoming a staff member, nor for a staff member to become a board
> member.

Hmm. Perhaps it would be best to clarify whether this means transferring
from the board to the staff and vice versa,
or whether it is intended to mean that even
simultaneous board membership and staff job are possible. If the latter
I have to say I am somewhat surprised....

I think the community has expressed fairly explicitly that such dual
roles would mix things up. Though on the obverse side, I suppose
arguably the treasurer is in some sense inextricably connected at
the hip with staff in some senses.

Of course one way is to not make separation of roles in the
bylaws, but just rely on best practises and custom to make
sure that in cases where roles need not overlap, they stay
in their own bailiwick.