[Foundation-l] Stream of consciousness story about license migration

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 12:49:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 7:29 AM, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.yu> wrote:
>  Well, if some later version is the same as some other license...

Imagine the situation:
- You are not a Wikipedian and you gave you work to some Wikipedian
under GFDL 1.2 or any later because they asked you so.
- GFDL 1.3 says "everything made in the process of wiki work may
switch to CC-BY-SA 3.5".

Conclusions are:
- You (probably) didn't made your work in the wiki process, which
means that GFDL 1.3 migration clause toward CC-BY-SA 3.5 doesn't work.
- In a less strict my-amateur-interpretation, "protest if you object"
may be applied.
- In a more strict my-amateur-interpretation, it would be the same as
migration from GFDL 1.2 to CC-BY-SA 3.0 without asking an author;
which means completely unlawfully. (Or "protest if you object" may be
applied here, too?)