[Foundation-l] An argument for strong copyleft

Nikola Smolenski smolensk at eunet.yu
Tue Apr 8 21:40:55 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 April 2008 23:16:34 geni wrote:
> On 08/04/2008, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.yu> wrote:
> > Yes, really. Perhaps I should clarify: fair use does not require that I
> >  release my work under the same conditions as the work I am fairly using;
>
> Actually it does. It requires that you release it under US law.

I don't think so. And anyway, it doesn't matter: the moment I create it, my
work is released under nearly all copyright laws.

> >  > >  > >  Second, I don't want to release my work under CC-BY because I
> >  > >  > > do want enhancements to my work to be freely reusable.
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  > A newspaper article includeing your work may well be an
> >  > >  > enhancement.
> >  > >
> >  > > Actually, it would rather be the other way around (unless the
> >  > > article is about my work).
> >  >
> >  > Define "about your work".
> >
> > I believe it is obvious to everyone.
>
> Define it or withdraw it.

Your replies are getting more senseless as time passes. I don't need to define
it, and I won't withdraw it. I don't see why is it relevant or important
anyway.

> >  > >  > Okey so you think newspaper articles would be overkill. So what
> >  > >  > if all someone does is add a caption? What if  your work is used
> >  > >  > as part of a Collage? What if it is used as part of a flow chart?
> >  > >  > Where do you draw the line?
> >  > >
> >  > > I do not draw the line.
> >  >
> >  > Then you cannot object to where other draw it.
> >
> > Yes I can. I just did.
>
> Yes but your objections have no value.

Yes they do. Especially as you are drawing the line completely outside of the
grey area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur_(logic)

> >  > In any case the requirement to release a work under a free license is
> >  > pretty minor compared to the requirement to include a full copy of the
> >  > license and an interesting set of disclaimers.
> >
> > No, in most cases it is a much more restrictive requirement.
>
> You cannot at this time realistically include a GFDL image in the new
> scientist. You can include a copyleft article in the new scientist.

These two examples have nothing in common. Requirement to print the license
with the work is easily fulfilled in a number of cases, if not in the New
Scientist. Requirement to change the license of the work is something most
people will not accept.