[Foundation-l] An argument for strong copyleft

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:05:40 UTC 2008

On 08/04/2008, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.yu> wrote:
  > >  First, I don't think that my work deserves to influence other, unrelated
>  > > work; especially as I personally do employ fair use when I can and don't
>  > > think that I should request more stringent criteria in regard to my work.
>  >
>  > Fair use would not and cannot be impacted by any license.
>

> ...which has nothing to do with what I said.

Really? "as I personally do employ fair use" " don't think that I
should request more stringent criteria in regard to my work".

So the impact of license on fair use has nothing to do with what you
wrote? Nothing at all? so why bring it up?

>  > >  Second, I don't want to release my work under CC-BY because I do want
>  > >  enhancements to my work to be freely reusable.
>  >
>  > A newspaper article includeing your work may well be an enhancement.
>

> Actually, it would rather be the other way around (unless the article is about
>  my work).

Define "about your work".

>  > Okey so you think newspaper articles would be overkill. So what if all
>  > someone does is add a caption? What if  your work is used as part of a
>  > Collage? What if it is used as part of a flow chart? Where do you draw
>  > the line?
>

> I do not draw the line.

Then you cannot object to where other draw it.

>I am aware that there are use cases that are
>  inbetween. Yet most of the cases fall in two clearly separate categories: one
>  for which I do want the enhancement to my work to be freely reusable, and one
>  for which I am content with my work illustrating an unrelated work.

Meaningless since you will not define which is which.

> No, they are in fact rather above it. A GFDL image does not require that you
>  release text that includes it under GFDL.

RMS would appear to differ which is a bit of a problem since even if
you did manage to win a court case (which I doubt) RMS can change the
license so you wouldn't in future.

In any case the requirement to release a work under a free license is
pretty minor compared to the requirement to include a full copy of the
license and an interesting set of disclaimers.

--
geni