[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Primary account for single user login

Henning Schlottmann h.schlottmann at gmx.net
Tue Apr 8 11:12:59 UTC 2008

[x-post to tech removed]

Tim Starling wrote:

> I think the most important thing is that we don't put any unnecessary
> conditions on the deployment of SUL. I would like to see it fully deployed
> before I grow old and die.

I know you put a lot of time into SUL and the foundation invested
substantial funds, but I am not convinced it is a good idea and should
be implemented in full.

My most important argument against it is the UTF-8-problem of user
names. With one global userbase we will have user names in Chinese
characters at the en-WP, we will have user names that look identical but
one uses a single cyrillic letter instead of the identical looking latin
one, and so on.

The first example is unavoidable, the second could be assumed to be
malicious and the user blocked. But how will you deal with a primary
user of the zh-WP, with a user name in Chinese characters, who starts to
edit on en-WP? Other users there will only see question marks or those
annoying little squares in the history.

Do you have already answers to this problem?

Ciao Henning (global user name: H-stt, home project: de-WP)