[Foundation-l] An argument for strong copyleft

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 21:47:43 UTC 2008

On 07/04/2008, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.yu> wrote:
> On Monday 07 April 2008 15:00:20 Anthony wrote:
>  > We have two independent works, an article and a photo, and we have a
>  > newspaper article which is, at least in my opinion, a derivative of
>  > both works.  Now I agree that it's unrealistic to expect Andrew to
>  > give away his copyright.  He probably makes a living writing newspaper
>  > articles.  On the other hand, most Bill's would find it unfair that
>  > Carrie gets to profit of his work without giving anything in return.
>  > This is the reason the Noncommercial-only license (which I dislike) is
>  > so popular.
>  >
>  > But there's a simple solution.  Carrie can simply buy a license from
>  > Bill to use the photo in her newspaper article.
>  >
>  > For those Bill's who don't mind Carrie's using their work in this way,
>  > there's always CC-BY or some other non-copylefted free license.
>

> As a free content creator, I have to say that this situation would not be
>  satisfactory for me.
>
>  First, I don't think that my work deserves to influence other, unrelated work;
>  especially as I personally do employ fair use when I can and don't think that
>  I should request more stringent criteria in regard to my work.

Fair use would not and cannot be impacted by any license.

>  Second, I don't want to release my work under CC-BY because I do want
>  enhancements to my work to be freely reusable.

A newspaper article includeing your work may well be an enhancement.
Okey so you think newspaper articles would be overkill. So what if all
someone does is add a caption? What if  your work is used as part of a
Collage? What if it is used as part of a flow chart? Where do you draw
the line?

>  Third, because I have had experiences with people wanting to use free contents
>  in their works; even GFDL was too much, and so would this requirement be.

The requirements of a hard copyleft CC-BY-SA are rather below those of the GFDL.

--
geni