[Foundation-l] Projects without >FDL1.2 migration clause

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Apr 7 16:13:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  If this is true, we could probably use the "protest if you object"
>  >  process proposed by Mike a while ago for these projects. It would be
>  >  painful if there's a substantial number of users who object to a
>  >  license change, but may become necessary.
>
>  While Mike's the lawyer, not me, it still seems very strange that you
>  can violate someone's copyright just by asking nicely and them not
>  responding within a given time frame. Even if that is the case in the
>  US, it would seem sensible to check with someone with a more
>  international expertise that it works elsewhere.

Well, Mike has also admitted that "it can be argued pretty strongly
that Wikipedia is not currently complying with GFDL fully", in which
case it's irrelevant, because the GFDL is automatically revoked upon
such non-compliance anyway.

In the end, all that really matters is that the people who own the
copyright to Wikipedia aren't interested in going through the hassle
and expense of suing the WMF.  And if any of them actually were, the
WMF would probably be willing to remove their contributions way before
it got to that point anyway.