[Foundation-l] An argument for strong copyleft

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 13:37:08 UTC 2008

Hoi,
When Carrie buys a license for the photo and merges it with the "share
alike" article, she has to buy a license for the photo to be released under
this "share alike" article. When she fails to do this she will effectively
violate the rights of the photographer.

Alternatively Carry buys a license for the photo AND acquires an appropriate
license to use the article from the copyright holder. This is in my opinion
the only correct way to do this. Because it can even be argued that an
edition of a newspaper is a derivative work of all the items that make that
newspaper.

When Carry asks Andrew for a license for her article it can be ANY license
even commercial licenses that do not give any downstream rights. The one
thing Bill cannot do is retract a previous publication under the "share
alike" license.

When Carry buys the correct license from Bill for the photo, it may mean
that she buys a license to publish under a free license. As a consequence it
is irrelevant afterwards what he thinks.
Thanks,
      GerardM