[Foundation-l] Projects without >FDL1.2 migration clause

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Apr 7 02:24:33 UTC 2008

Erik Moeller wrote:
> I'm breaking this out under a new subject because it merits some attention
>
> On 4/6/08, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  - Some projects (I think all francophone, but I am not sure) are using
>>  strictly GFDL 1.2. It is not because they are generally not willing to
>>  switch to CC-BY-SA, but because of legal implications of "... or any
>>  later version..." in their countries.
>>

> That's a very relevant claim that I haven't heard before. If this is
> true, it would obviously pose problems for those projects no matter
> what future changes we'd like to see to our licensing structure.
>
> Can someone confirm? If there is more than one project/language, we
> should begin building a list.

What mainly matters is what the users are agreeing to (since we can
change what *we* redistribute under as we wish, as long as it's some
subset of what the authors have agreed to). On that, most of the
Wikipedia languages unfortunately seem vague on what they're asking
users to agree to when they edit.

Some examples, with decreasing clarity:

-- The English Wikipedia is explicit about it: the edit page itself
requires the user to license text under the GFDL, with a footnote on the
same page clarifying the conditions: version 1.2 or later, no invariant
sections, etc.

-- The German Wikipedia on the edit page just says that the user agrees
to license their contributions "unter der GNU-Lizenz für freie
Dokumentation" without further clarification. If you click on the
hyperlink for GFDL, it points to the copyright page which does have the
additional "1.2 or later" verbiage in the explicit license grant. I
suppose we could say the users are agreeing to this by reference, but it
might be more solid if what they were agreeing to was actually on the
edit page.

-- The French Wikipedia has the user to agree to license their
contributions "sous la GNU Free Documentation License", and the GFDL
phrase links to an *offsite* copy of the GFDL at
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html, with no further clarification as
regards versions, invariant sections, etc. If you do manage to end up at
[[fr:Wikipédia:Droit_d'auteur]], there's still no explicit license
statement at all, and definitely no "1.2 or later" verbiage.

-Mark