[Foundation-l] Allow new wikis in extinct languages?

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Sun Apr 6 17:07:30 UTC 2008

Marcos Cramer hett schreven:
> I think that in the case of ancient languages, which no longer have native speakers, we should have the following two criteria additionally to the criterion of an active test project:
>
> * New literature is still being produced and published in the proposed language (whether translated or original)
> * The proposed language is taught in a number of institutions like schools or universities.
In an earlier e-mail I pointed to the page
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Slomox/Languages>, in which I have
written down my thoughts on the matter. My idea was to set a limit of at
least 1000 real (fluent) speakers (the number is based on recent
decisions of the language subcommittee like approval of Sater Frisian,
which has a number of speakers only slightly higher than 1000). This
rule of 1000 real speakers makes every other rule like "produces
literature" or "is taught in school" unnecessary. Cause there is no
ancient language with 1000 real, fluent speakers except for some very
few, which all are teached in schools and produce literature. The rule
of 1000 speakers has the advantage that it is countable (better
countable and more relevant than literature output or schools teaching
it). The rule can be applied for living languages, ancient languages and
constructed languages all the same without extra rules to outrule
unwanted languages.

Marcus Buck