[Foundation-l] VC - alternative resolution

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 10:56:11 UTC 2008

Maybe a weird suggestion, but until we know whether the board has, and
with which exact wordings, accepted the resolution, I think Gerard has
a point. Currently it looks very much like people looking for extreme
cases, on both sides, and next reaction is "we think we should do
that" or "we should not do that". I have never seen successful
policies implemented on basis of practical cases. Maybe things go
different in other communities, but if policies are based on practical
examples, and without a vision development, there are a lot of holes
in it, and it is unclear where to go.

At the same time, it is a little weird to discuss the broad line if
the borders within which to work are unclear. In my opinion the PVC
should as a priority work on the primary goals of the VC, in broad
terminology. Things like RfA etc are only details, and should not be
discussed this extensively until a broader line has been set out. One
of those main questions is for example who the volunteers are, whether
the members should represent communities or opinions, which area's
should be under the "jurisdiction" (don't know a better word for it
right now, but it should not imply the VC is the "authority" per se)
of the VC etc. After that, the VC can continue to a more detaillistic
mode.

BR, Lodewijk