[Foundation-l] Creative Commons CC-BY-SA Draft Statement of Intent

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 00:35:11 UTC 2008

> geni wrote:
>  > 1)it gives us a degree of security. An issue with CC in the past is
>  > that they have had a tenancy to jump on bandwagons which made the
>  > future path of their licenses tricky to predict.
>

> I do not agree. I am a board member of CC, and have seen the slow
>  deliberative process that goes on there.  The board is full of good
>  people committed to license predictability and stability.  The future of
>  CC licenses is not difficult to predict.

The CC-DN license? The moral rights clause? These were not predicable.

The risk (well one of them) with any third partly license is that the
people who are managing it will try and use it to drive an agenda (see
some of the fuss over GPL3). With the FSF it has historically been
pretty clear what that agenda is. Up until now CC has been less
predictable.

Of course we now have to keep an eye on the freedomdefined mob but
that was already the case.

--
geni