[Foundation-l] Creative Commons CC-BY-SA Draft Statement of Intent

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 20:01:52 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 7:23 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>  MIT have experience with software licenses but I don't know much about
>  their recent activity. Any commentary from them would be of interest
>  but ah would they be interested in commenting.
>
>  Historical we've tended to pay attention to the Debian mob.

One of two (I think there were only two) relevant interpretations of
CC licenses (for US legal system) which I got last year at CC
community list was MIT's interpretation.

It would be good to make a list of relevant institutions which are
able to give their interpretation of CC-BY-SA 3.0 and changes added to
newer versions.

Also, I am still in doubt how would we solve "... or any later
version..." issue with CC-BY-SA. Legal systems are in slow, but
constant changes and it is not a good idea to stay for a long time at
version which is outdated by changes in the society.

As I may see, Wikinews is still licensed under CC-BY 2.5, for example.
Is a document licensed under one version compatible with a document
licensed under some later version? How would we decide a switch
between BY-SA 3.5 and BY-SA 4.0? What would be our option if something
goes wrong and we decide not to use new versions BY-SA anymore, but we
still have to be up to date with changes in legal system(s) and
society?

Maybe I have a couple of questions more, but I don't want to hear
political talks about those issues, I want to hear expert opinions.
And I am not asking this just to ask, I really want to know answers to
those questions.

Hm. Maybe our "... or any later version..." clause should be "... or
any other license approved by the Board and the community" (and define
strictly what "community decision" means)? Maybe even to try to find a
field for double licensing: one BY-SA, one which "the Board or the
community decide"? I understand that those are complex models...

I really don't have a problem with any license or license provider
while licensing our projects is under our control.